Packwood Haugh School celebrates its 125th anniversary in the year 2017- 2018, a milestone in the school’s history that affords the opportunity to reflect on its illustrious past and to look to the future and the exciting developments that lie ahead. There have been a range of celebratory events for all associated with Packwood – pupils, past and present, parents, friends and staff – and new state-of- the-art science facilities will be the legacy of the anniversary year.
Packwood enjoys an international reputation for academic excellence and for its outstanding extracurricular provision that enables pupils to enjoy a truly broad education. More than the exceptional record of scholarship success to many of the country’s top independent schools (including a Winchester Election in 2017, among 25 awards in total) and the 100 per cent CE pass rate for as many years
as anyone can remember, a Packwood education offers every child an adventure, a one-off life experience. They will enjoy a breadth of opportunity and experience that will enable them to fulfil their potential and develop their talents, wherever they may lie.
At Packwood, each child will:
• enjoy a broad and stimulating curriculum taught by specialist teachers
• have access to outstanding facilities on a stunning 66-acre site
• have the chance to take part in scores of new and different sports and activities and to benefit from a wide range of educational trips and visits including the Year 8 Humanities trip overseas
• develop self-confidence, resilience and a positive attitude to life-long learning
• set themselves on the path to the top independent senior schools in the UK – school leavers go on to Eton, Winchester, Radley, Shrewsbury, Rugby, Oundle, Wycombe Abbey and Cheltenham Ladies’ College among others.
Every year Packwood pupils achieve success in all areas of school life. The arts are thriving with two major drama productions every year and many smaller class plays ensuring every child in the school is involved. There were three music scholarship awards for Year 8s in 2017 and places won in the National Youth Orchestra and at The Purcell School; and Packwood pupils continue to enjoy sporting success at local, regional and national level in a range of sports from girls’ cricket to fencing to golf, among others.
Packwood is a big, happy family and it is the children and their excellent relationships with each other and with the staff in school that make it such a special place. At the end of the last inspection the reporting inspector’s departing words were that she couldn’t get over how happyall the children are at Packwood. They are polite, friendly, quietly confident and self-assured young people. Their positive attitude to school is reflected in what they have to say about life here:
• I’ve made friends that I’ll stay in touch with forever
• There is a warm and friendly atmosphere
• The staff are helpful and caring, funny and kind, patient and supportive and make Packwood a special place to grow and learn
• Basically everything is great
• I love boarding because you get more time with your friends at school
• There’s always something going on and I never have time to get bored.
Parents praise the power of Packwood’s ‘magic formula’. As a non-selective school, it is enormously proud of its academic success. Beyond that, and arguably more importantly, is the development of pupils’ character.
As one parent says: “They exude a wonderful charm that simply delights.
It is, indeed, a unique selling point of Packwood and one of which you are justifiably proud."
If you are interested in finding out more information visit our website...